With its earthy, nutty flavor and slightly grainy texture, the chickpea is a perfect satisfying base. It lets the Dijon, pickles, and onions provide the strong flavors as it balances out their bitterness.
I love using large romaine leaves for wraps in place of bread. It's a super easy way to make a meal gluten-free or just lighten it up a bit and in this case, it provides the mash with a bit of crunch. I usually top it with almonds, but sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds also pair really well. If you want to make it even creamier, add a small dollop of vegan mayonnaise to the mix.
- 16 oz Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Dill pickle spear, diced
- 1 Celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 cup Yellow onion, diced
- 2 large leaves Whole romaine lettuce
- to taste Almonds, slivered
- to taste Lemon juice
- Garlic powder
1. Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to bowl. Mash thoroughly with a fork or spoon.
2. Spoon in dijon mustard and mix together.
3. Add pickles, celery, and onion, and mix together.
4. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Cut romaine leaves from stem and trim to desired length.
6. Spoon chickpea mash evenly to centers of the two romaine leaves. Top with slivered almonds and wrap up.
Also by Addie: One-Bowl Vegan Carrot Pecan Bread
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Addie Zoller