- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb, diced into ½” cubes gold potatoes
- ½ small head, cored and shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Gram Masla
- to taste salt & pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a skillet, and add the peanuts and curry powder. Stir to coat. Leave over heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Melt the other 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the skillet and add the potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently so they don’t stick to the pan. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Combine the ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, salt, pepper, and sugar in a pot. Add the shredded cabbage and stir to coat the cabbage in the seasoning.
4. Pour the cooked potatoes into the pot with the cabbage. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock.
5. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes or until the cabbage and potatoes are both soft.
6. Serve over lentils, rice, on pita, etc.
I love the flavors of the garam masala in this recipe. Garam masala is a blend of warming spices including cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and cardamon. When I make this recipe again, I am going to try using sweet potato and see how that flavor combination turns out.
Also by Lauren: Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Sacerdote