The decision to create this recipe was rather spontaneous. It began with the desire to make matcha pistachio ice cream, but after accidentally buying salted pistachios (instead of unsalted) and realizing that it would take approximately $500 worth of matcha to make the quantity I needed, I changed things up and went for coconut-vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate bits, almonds, and cashews. (Don’t worry, the salted pistachios will be repurposed as a delicious snack!)
Another constraint of this endeavour was my lack of an ice cream maker. Fortunately, I found that you can use canned coconut cream to create some pretty heavenly things. My favorite brand for coconut cream is Thai Kitchen. I’m not sure how this creation compares to ice-cream-maker-made ice cream, but if you just blend a lot you should get a nice treat.
Feel free to customize with any other bits of goodness!
Vegan No-Churn Coconut Cashew Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut cream (chilled)
- 1 1/2 cup dates (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or vegan milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup chocolate bits
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, chopped into small chunks
- 1/3 cup raw almonds, chopped into small chunks
1. Chill a mixing bowl and the container you plan to freeze the ice cream in (for best results, line with parchment.
2. In a high-speed blender, combine the dates, vanilla extract, and coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
3. Remove your mixing bowl from the fridge and pour in the date paste. Scoop the thick coconut cream out of the cans, and add it to the mixing bowl. (You can save the clear liquid in the cans for another purpose.)
4. Using a handheld mixer, blend thoroughly.
5. Stir in the chocolate, cashews, and almonds.
6. Pour the ice cream mixture into your desired receptacle, cover, and freeze overnight.
Related: Coconut Mocha Ice Cream
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell