When I think of summer cookouts, the first food that usually comes to mind is some sort of salad or casserole. Since barbecues’ main focus is usually meat, I’m typically left to devour the sides. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a complaint at all. I love cold food in the summertime, and one cuisine that always has delicious cold sides is Greek. I could eat a Greek salad every day for the rest of my life.
The classic Greek salad does not include any lettuce at all. Instead, it is made up of chopped vegetables and topped with a fresh, lemony vinaigrette. To make this a more substantial meal, I added it to a big bowl of pasta. This is a cooling and refreshing salad to enjoy when it is hot out. One thing I would have liked to add was black olives, so if you have them on hand, toss them in!
Vegan Greek Pasta Salad With Easy Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- 12 oz package pasta
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, quartered
- 1 purple onion, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Rinse in cold water to stop it from cooking any further and to make the noodles cold. Add to a large bowl.
2. Add in the pepper, cucumber, onion, and tomatoes (and black olives if you have them).
3. In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Pour over the big bowl with the other ingredients.
4. Toss together and coat the pasta and vegetables well.
5. Refrigerate for about an hour. Serve chilled.
Also by Lauren: Ginger Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes
Related: Best Ever Vegna Chicken Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Sacerdote