This recipe checks all the boxes for slaying chocolate cravings yet remains health conscious with its oil-free, refined sugar-free (except for what is in the chocolate chips) and gluten-free/buckwheat flour foundation. Throw a batch of these fudgy muffins together and skip the sugar roller coaster all week long by enjoying one of these with your morning coffee or afternoon tea.
Vegan & Gluten-Free Chocolate Strawberry Muffins
- 2 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 6 tablespoons Water
- 2 Bananas (over ripe)
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1/3 cup Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Strawberries (sliced/chunked)
1. Prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners and preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, mix the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar and allow to sit together for 10 minutes or so to thicken.
3. In a large bowl, add the chia seeds, water, mix and allow to sit together for ten minutes until a gel forms.
4. Add the overripe bananas to the chia seeds and mash until mixed well.
5. Add the coconut sugar and vanilla and combine until all incorporated.
6. Begin to add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture by adding the gluten-free flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cacao powder and salt.
7. Mix everything together and a thick batter will form.
8. Slowly add the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar mixture as you stir all of the ingredients together.
9. Once the batter is completely mixed and formed, gently fold in the chopped strawberries and chocolate chips.
10. Using an ice cream scooper or large spoon, scoop the batter into the muffin liners and bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
11. Allow to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before enjoying, and store in the fridge in an airtight container or freezer bag once completely cooled and enjoy all week long. I recommend heating the muffin just slightly in the microwave so the chocolate chips melt a little bit! Enjoy!
Also by Colette: Gluten-Free Mini Vegan Pizza Pockets With Spinach & Almond Cheese
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Colette Goguen