This past Sunday morning I woke up and wanted something different than my normal weekend breakfast, which is usually a protein superfood smoothie or avocado toast.
I wanted something sweet and comforting with berries, so I immediately thought: pancakes! Then I thought about it more and one of the things I hate about making pancakes at home is that by the time I am done making them they are kinda soggy and cold *sigh*. (P.S if anyone has any tips on how to keep pancakes fresh while cooking them please send them my way).
Then it hit me! I can make blueberry muffins. I’ve only ever made muffins once before in my whole life, and I had a bag of frozen tiny wild blueberries in the freezer that would be perfect! I wanted to use organic spelt flour because it’s nutrient dense (fiber, iron and protein) and easier to digest than regular flour even though it contains gluten (and also because I might of bought 3 bags of it when I finally found it at my local grocery store). As I was prepping everything to makes these muffins, I noticed I had a lemon I needed to use, and that’s when it hit me: lemon blueberry spelt muffins!
These muffins are the perfect amount of lemony blueberry sweetness and can last for a week in the fridge. I haven’t tried freezing them although I am sure they would do great. I used frozen wild blueberries which I strongly suggest since they are small enough to disperse through the muffins evenly (and they are honestly the cutest things). I like these muffins cut in half and toasted or simply thawed out to room temperature from the fridge but nothing beats them fresh out the oven : ). Enjoy.
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Spelt Muffins
- 2 Cups Organic Spelt Flour
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Cup Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/3 Cup Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1.5 Cups Frozen Wild Blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 12 count muffin tray or use liners.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and zest (first 5 ingredients) in a mixing bowl.
3. Combine almond milk, oil, lemon juice in a separate bowl and mix well.
4. Fold liquid ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients without over-mixing.
5. Add blueberries and combine evenly into mixture.
6. Divide batter evenly into muffin tray without pushing down!
7. Bake for about 18 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in with no residue.
Enjoy and store for up to a week in fridge.
Also by Alexa: Vegan Black Bean Spelt Hand Pies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Alexa Pizzarello