It uses coconut yogurt as the base of the recipe and agar (a sea-derived gelatine replacement) as the stabilizer. While the set time takes a few hours, actual cooking time on this dessert (breakfast?) is less than ten minutes. No oven necessary; no toiling for hours over the stove--and a very worthwhile result. Top with any fruit, spread, or perhaps even edible flower of your choice for even more fun.
- 1 1/2cups unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons dry sweetener of choice (1 used half raw sugar & half xylitol)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 1/2 teaspoon agar powder
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and stir in sweetener(s) of choice and orange zest.
3. Whisk agar powder thoroughly through the mixture, increasing the heat a bit (to somewhere around medium).
4. Continue stirring for about 5 minutes, until yogurt starts to thicken around the sides of the pan.
5. Remove from heat and transfer to greased ramekins (4 small or 2 large).
6. Let cool for about an hour at room temperature, then transfer to the fridge or freezer for about one more hour to set.
7. Thaw before serving, if frozen.
8. Garnish with a bit more orange zest and enjoy!
Also by Quincy: Vegan Rocky Road Bars
Related: Guilt-Free Caramel Apples
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas