- A version of this recipe has appeared on Sparkle Kitchen.
Grocery shopping is a communal experience at my local food coop. The place is notorious for lines that wrap around the store, mad rushes to get the last heirloom tomato and also new friendships. This recipe was the result of one such happy shopping trip picking out fresh, local appleas!
This applesauce is blended with fresh cranberries and ginger for a nutritional boost. I like combining apples with other fruits and vegetables to lower the sugar content. One Pink Lady apple has about 14 grams compared to just two grams in a half cup of cranberries.
I’m doing my best to break-up with sugar, and this recipe is a good alternative to any added sugar dessert I would otherwise eat. To reduce the sugar affects even more, add some fat to it like coconut whipped cream. The fat slows the sugar’s metabolism.
Vegan Dessert Recipes: Cranberry Applesauce with Ginger
- 8 oz. fresh cranberries
- 2 1/2 cups pink lady apples
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1. Place all ingredients in a medium-sized pot. Heat over medium-high heat uncovered for 10 minutes.
2. The cranberries will pop as they cook. Once all have popped, turn off the heat and remove the cinnamon stick.
3. Use a potato masher to mash the apples and cranberries together.
4. Store refrigerated in a glass jar for up to 1 week.
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Brittany Barton