Notes: This recipe can also be made gluten-free by using GF flour and GF oats. For those with nut allergies, you can omit the nuts. Recipe was adapted from Vegan in the Freezer by Ginny McMeans.
Vegan Date Bars
- 2 cups Dates (preferably Medjool)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Quick Cooking Oats
- 1/2 cup Almonds or Walnuts
- 3/4 cup Non-Dairy Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
1. Roughly chop the dates and nuts, separately, into small pieces. If your dates aren’t pitted make sure to pit them beforehand!
2. In a medium-sized pot, mix the chopped dates, water, and coconut sugar together on medium for about 7-10 minutes until the mixture bubbles.
3. Turn the heat off and place the pot to the side to cool. Add in the vanilla and almond extract, then add the chopped nuts into the mixture. Stir.
4. Now for the crust, first soften the butter. Then use a hand mixer to cream the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix.
6. Add in the oats and mix well until you have a crumbly mixture.
7. Use coconut oil to grease the bottom of an 8 x 11 baking dish.
8. Layer half of the oat mixture onto the bottom of the baking dish. Pat down to make an even layer.
9. Next, scoop all of the date mixture into the baking dish and use a spatula to even it out.
10. Layer the rest of the oat mixture over the date layer and gently press down using clean fingers.
11. Place in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
12. Once done, take the dish out of the oven and allow it to cool off. Then cut about 12 even squares.
Enjoy it warm! You can also eat it with vegan vanilla bean ice cream or vegan coconut whipped cream on top.
Also by Paige: Asian Peanut Soba Noodles
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Paige Butzlaff