Vegan Comfort Food: Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- 1 (8 oz) pkg gluten-free penne (I used a chickpea based pasta)
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 med butternut squash
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespooon dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds, place on a baking sheet cut side down and place in the oven.
3. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until you can easily pierce the skin with a fork.
4. Place cashews in a bowl of warm water and let soak for 30 minutes.
5. Bring a pot of water to boil, add the pasta noodles, and cook until al dente (6-8 minutes, depending on which kind of noodles you’re using), and drain and return to pot.
6. Remove squash from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Scoop out the flesh of the squash into your blender, add the rest of the ingredients (excluding the kale), and blend until smooth and creamy.
7. Pour sauce over noodles, sprinkle on the chopped kale, and stir to combine.
8. Heat on low for 5-10 minutes, allowing the kale to wilt a bit (add more almond milk if needed).
Also by Kathryn: Vegan Zucchini Eggplant Rolls
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kathryn Farrugia