Vegan Breakfast Recipes: Sweet Potato and Banana Pancakes
- 1/2 cup baked sweet potato, skin removed
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1-1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
2. Add the oats, flour, maca powder, and chia; stir to combine.
3. Add the milk, vanilla, and spices; stir well. At this stage the batter should be thick but loose enough to pour easily onto your skillet, so add more liquid or oats as needed. The banana and potato should also be smooth and fully mashed.
4. Lastly, add the baking powder and cranberries.
5. Lightly coat a skillet with non-stick cooking spray or a drizzle of coconut oil. With a quarter-cup measuring cup, scoop out batter and place evenly onto the skillet. Cook over low heat, to prevent premature burning, until the tops begin to bubble slightly and the bottoms are firm. Flip, and cook until golden brown and crispy. The insides might be slightly soft still, but think cookies that are moist in the center and crisp on the outside :)
6. Repeat with remaining batter, and serve warm with toppings of your choice. I opted for tahini and honey, but traditional maple syrup, peanut or almond butter, jellies, or chocolate spread would all work...the options are endless! *Make this gluten-free by using standard GF flour, like Bob's Red Mill, instead of whole wheat flour. **This batter would also make delicious muffins: just scoop the batter into muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees, for about 20 minutes or until browned on the outside and the center comes out clean when pricked with a knife.
Also by Jennifer: Vegan Turmeric Maca Mocha Latte
Related: Vegan Chocolate Protien Pancakes
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Jennifer Kurdyla