Biting into a tightly-packed, flavorful wrap is a unique satisfaction. These vegan spinach and tofu wraps offer a delicious and savory blend of caramelized onions, seasoned tofu, crisp alfalfa sprouts, and fresh spinach. These wraps are an excellent source of healthy protein; they also contain fiber and healthy fats–as well as vitamins C and K, thanks to the sprouts!
There are endless ways to customize this wrap: swap gluten-free wraps for regular tortillas, include probiotic-rich sauerkraut, add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor (and a boost of vitamin B12), or spread hummus on your tortilla before rolling it for an even richer blend.
Note: The wrap can be made with a cold tortilla, but if you prefer a warmer wrap, cover your tortillas in tin foil and place them on a ceramic plate. Warm them on the plate in your oven at it’s lowest setting for 5-10 minutes. Alternatively, you can create your wraps and then press them with a panini press. (I don’t have a panini press, however, so I haven’t tried this method.)
Vegan Spinach & Tofu Wraps
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 oz. (1 small box) baby spinach, washed and de-stemmed
- handful alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tablespoons (divided) olive oil
- 1/4 cup crushed cashews
- 5 small soft tortillas
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet set over medium-low heat, sauté onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 25 minutes or until they are very soft and beginning to caramelize.
2. While the onions are cooking, “scramble” the tofu in a separate skillet set over medium heat. Add spices and desired salt and pepper. Stir every few minutes until the tofu begins to brown (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Once the onions have cooked for about 25 minutes, add spinach, stirring to coat the spinach with oil and moisture. Cover for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
4. In a large bowl, mix the spinach, onion, tofu scramble, cashews, and sprouts. Taste test for seasoning. Add a small amount to the center of a soft tortilla, and roll it like a burrito, as tightly as possible. Use a cleaver or a very sharp knife to cut the wrap in two. Secure with a toothpick if necessary. Enjoy!
Related: Raw Korean-Style Lettuce Wraps
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell