When I imagine my ideal breakfast, it’s warm, filling, and nutritious. The problem that I often encounter, however, is that this type of meal is often associated with a labor- and time-intensive cooking process–not ideal when I wake up hungry and need to eat *now.* My remedy? Baked oatmeal.
This baked oatmeal can be made over the weekend and served up throughout the week. It can be microwaved and topped with nuts and jam or served alongside some soy yogurt. The best part is that this breakfast can be made in one baking dish, eliminating the laborious task of washing a bunch of dishes.
In addition to being tasty and simple, this dish can provide a healthy start to your day–thanks to the many health benefits of oats. As whole grains, oats are healthy, energy-providing carbs. Interestingly, oats are higher in protein than most other grains. Their protein content coupled with the fiber they provide makes oatmeal a satiating breakfast. Plus, oats are a good source of manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.
Breakfast dreams do come true 🙂
Apple Cranberry Baked Oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups water or non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 apple, chopped (plus more for topping)
- Coconut sugar, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix together water and ground flax and set aside to gel.
3. Lightly oil an 8×8 square baking dish. Directly in the pan, mix together oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Making a well in the dry ingredients, add water, maple syrup, flax egg, cranberries, and apple. Mix until thoroughly combined. Top with additional apple, if desired.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sugar. Return to oven and bake for additional 10-15 minutes or until oats have absorbed all the water.
Also by Molly: Chocolate-Dipped Blood Oranges
Related: Savory Oatmeal for Cold Mornings
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne