BBQ or smoky nut mixes are a crowd-pleasing favorite, whether for happy hour, parties, game nights, camping, or the office. But take a closer look at that store-bought nut mix, and you’ll find all kinds of undesirable ingredients from preservatives and artificial flavors to hydrogenated oils and dyes. The good news is that it’s easy and fun to DIY your own nut mix with pure, wholesome ingredients. These savory nuts are addictive, delicious, and perfect for sharing. Enjoy!
Easy BBQ Mixed Nuts
- 1 cup Cashew nuts (raw)
- 1 cup Almonds (raw)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (raw)
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts (raw)
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Garlic salt
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1. Line a tray and preheat the oven at 180°C or 360°F.
2. Add the nuts to a bowl. You don’t have to use the ones I listed here – feel free to use your own favourite nut combo.
3. Add spices in one at a time, making sure to coat them as evenly as you can. Don’t worry—it’s a messy task!
If you don’t have garlic salt, you can use 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp salt instead. If you’re not into anything spicy, I recommend leaving the chili out and halving the cumin.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. For extra crisp, leave them in the oven for a minute after it’s off.
Depending on how intense your oven is, it might need a couple more minutes. You’ll know when it’s done – the nuts will crisp up and be super crunchy.
5. Let it cool completely before serving.
You can store this for over a week, but it hasn’t lasted longer than that at my house!
Feel free to try other ingredients—I think this would also taste great with roasted nori, pretzels, or corn nuts.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Deborah Tan