A version of this recipe was previously published on Sweet Lancey.
These vegan banana cupcakes are a perfect go-to dessert recipe for birthday parties, backyard cookouts, and anytime you need something sweet and festive. The banana serves as a brilliant egg substitute and adds natural sweetness. Enjoy!
Easy, All-Occasion Vegan Banana Cupcakes
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- 3-4 cups icing/ powdered sugar
- few drops caramel extract
- soy milk for icing, as needed
- food coloring (optional)
- decorations such as sprinkles or caramel syrup (optional)
Instructions for the cupcakes
1. Preheat oven at approximately 190 degrees Celsius (~375°F) and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. Pour milk and vinegar into a medium sized jug and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, caster sugar and baking powder and mix well.
4. Add banana, vanilla and milk mixture to flour mixture, and using beaters, mix until just combined.
5. Using an ice-cream scoop, evenly divide batter between cases.
6. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed, and have started to brown.
7. Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
Instructions for the buttercream
8. Combine butter, icing sugar, essence and milk (as needed) in a large bowl, and beat until smooth. Add milk slowly to ensure your icing doesn’t become too runny.
9. Ice and decorate cupcakes to taste and store in an airtight container until ready to eat.
Also by Lancey: Vegan Pain Au Chocolat (Chocolate Vegan Croissants)
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lancey Morris