Whenever I go out to a bar, I always order wine--not because it's my drink of choice, but because every cocktail on offer is invariably too sweet for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, which is why I prefer to make my own cocktails. In doing so, I'm not only able to control the sweetness, but I can create fun flavor combinations, too. This grapefruit rose gimlet is really delightful; the slight bitterness from the gin compliments the sweetness and acidity from the rose and grapefruit. If you like a stronger drink, feel free to add another shot of gin, but I personally found this to be the perfect amount. I hope you find yourself making this again and again this summer!
Delicately Sweet Vegan Grapefruit Rose Gimlet
Recipe Type: Beverages
YIELDS 2 small drinks
- 1 cup rose water
- 1 cup sugar (make sure it's vegan!)
- 6 ounces gin
- Juice of 1 large grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons homemade rose syrup (ingredients above)
- Garnish: dried rose petals, grapefruit peel
1. At least 2 hours before preparing cocktails, prepare your rose syrup. In a saucepan over high heat, bring rose water and sugar to a boil. Reduce to low heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until syrup has thickened slightly (it will continue to thicken as it cools). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. 2. To prepare your gimlets, pour grapefruit juice, rose syrup, and gin into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into two chilled glasses and top with garnish. Serve immediately.
Also by Molly: Vegan Blood Orange Cheesecake
Related: Minty Watermelon Cocktail
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne