Happy spring from snowy New England! Even with the sudden return to winter weather, I'm excited for the return of spring produce and fresh flavors. This simple, gently spiced edamame dip is perfect for transitioning from winter to spring. Slathered on toast, as a dip for veggies, or by the spoonful, this spread is as versatile as it is delicious. The base of this easy-to-assemble dip is edamame, a.k.a young soybeans. Soybeans are naturally gluten-free and low in calories. They're a good source of protein (especially for those on a vegan diet), iron, and calcium. In addition to being linked to lowered risk of osteoporosis, edamame is a secret weapon for easing PMS symptoms thanks to its calcium and magnesium content. When shopping for edamame (or any soy product), be sure to look for organic.
Vegan Appetizer Recipes: Ginger Sesame Edamame Dip
Recipe Type: Appetizers
YIELDS 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cups frozen edamame, boiled and drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- Juice of one orange (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, plus more for topping
- 1/2-3/4 cup water, depending on how thick you like your dip
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Sesame seeds for topping (optional)
1. Boil edamame for 5 minutes, until bright green and tender. 2. Add garlic to food processor and pulse until it's minced. 3. Add all remaining ingredients except water, and process until the mixture is incorporated. 4. With the food processor running, drizzle in water, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides and check the consistency. Add more or less water depending on how thick you like your dip, keeping in mind that the spread will thicken considerably in the refrigerator overnight. 5. Serve immediately, or refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to become fully incorporated.
Also by Molly: Vegan Vanilla Fig Blondies
Related: Yucca Fries with Chimichurri Dip
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne