This recipe is apparently a holiday classic but I think it would make a refreshing side dish at a cookout or snack during the summer. I added cinnamon and ginger to enhance the flavor and pecans for some crunch, but feel free to experiment with whatever spices and nuts you prefer. You can also use whatever fruit you have on hand as long as the measurements match up. This may look like a regular ol’ fruit and yogurt bowl, but the combination of all the flavors result in a timeless Southern favorite.
Vegan Ambrosia Salad
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced grapes
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup plain yogurt
1. Slice and dice all of your fruit and mix together in a large bowl. Add the coconut and pecans and mix. Set aside.
2. Scoop the thick layer of coconut cream from the can of coconut milk and add to a mixing bowl. (Set the liquid aside and put away for use in the kitchen at another time.)
3. Beat the coconut cream on high with a mixer until peaks begin to form and a whipped topping is created.
4. Add in the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and yogurt and continue to beat until light and smooth.
5. Pour the mix over the fruit and stir until well coated. Refrigerate until it’s time to serve.
Also by Lauren: Thai Banana Spice Spring Rolls
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote