One popular recipe that utilizes both of these ingredients is a chilled Thai salad. The watermelon soaks up all of the Thai inspired flavors used in the sauce, the cashews add the perfect crunch, and the fresh herbs bring the salad to life. This is typically served and enjoyed as is, but I like to use my salad to top some cold rice noodles. This turns it into a more substantial and filling meal rather than a side.
Thai Watermelon Cucumber Noodle Salad
- 1 package stir fry rice noodles
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- squeeze of lime
- 1/4 cup crushed cashews
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and remove from heat. Add stir fry noodles and let soak for 10-12 minutes or until soft.
2. While the noodles are cooking, prepare the sauce. Add the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl and whisk together well.
3. In a second mixing bowl, toss together the watermelon, cucumbers, and onion. Stir in the basil and mint.
4. Pour the dressing over and mix well to coat.
5. Strain noodles and run under cold water. Toss in sesame oil and lime juice.
6. Serve watermelon mix over noodles and top with cashews.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote