Perfect Halloween Treat: GF Vegan Unicorn Poached Apples
- 2 apples, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Pink Pitaya Powder
- 1 tsp Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Powder
1. Whisk together vanilla extract, maple syrup, salt and water in a medium pot and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Meanwhile peel the apples but keep the stems attached.
3. When the water is boiling, take the head down to minimum and place the peeled apples in it and poach them in about 15-20 minutes. Depending on the apple type you use, the cooking time can differ, so keep on checking them.
4. Once done, remove the apples and transfer the cooking liquid into jars or any containers that would be big enough for the apples with the brine. Mix together one jar of water with pink pitaya powder and the other with purple butterfly pea powder and place an apple in each of the jars. Let them sit for at least 3 hours or even overnight.
5. When the apples are colored, remove them from the water and serve with coconut yogurt, ice cream or vegan whipped cream or even over waffles. Sprinkle with your favorite decoration. I used Halloween sprinkles for the season.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth