I used to eat sweet breakfasts every single morning. Porridge, pancakes, pb&j toast or smoothies were my go-to. These days, I have gotten into the habit of eating savory breakfasts most mornings. So when my sweet tooth does beckon in the am hours, this slightly sweet rice-based breakfast is perfect. It’s not an overwhelming contrast from the savory breakfasts I now enjoy, but provides just enough sweetness to satisfy me.
The base of matcha tea provides me with a much-needed caffeine that sometimes my morning coffee alone isn’t able to provide. The spicy hit of ginger is also a great way to help me wake up, and pairs beautifully with the matcha flavour.
Whether you have leftover rice to use up or just love a rice pudding as much as I do, this simple breakfast is one for the books.
Matcha Ginger Rice Pudding
- 1 tsp. matcha powder
- 1 tbs. liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp. vegan butter
- 1 knob fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups pre-cooked arborio rice (or rice of choice)
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk (or milk of choice)
- pinch sea salt
1. In small bowl, whisk together matcha powder, sweetener and 2 tsp. of water with a fork or whisk, then set aside.
2. Heat butter in pan over medium heat, then grate in ginger and fry for a few minutes.
3. Add rice, milk and salt and stir gently to combine.
4. Once the milk starts to bubble, reduce the heat and continue to stir for about 2-3 more minutes. 5. Grab your serving bowls and divide matcha mixture between the two, rotating the bowls to spread the liquid up and around the sides of the vessel.
6. Then, remove rice from heat and divide between the two serving bowls.
7. Eat as-is or mix to stir the matcha into the rice, then enjoy.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Quincy Malesovas