Cheese was easily one of the hardest things for me to give up when transitioning to a vegan diet but after avoiding it for so long I’m starting to forget what I missed. There are plenty of cheese replacements out there on the market and although a lot of them are tasty, they usually come with a relatively high price tag. The ingredients it takes to make this almond cheese are generally staples that most vegans would have on hand in their pantry and it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare.
This cheese is completely plant based and packed with protein from the almonds. The addition of nutritional yeast gives it a boost of vitamins and an extra cheesy flavor. You can experiment with different spices and fresh herbs until you find your favorite version of this cheese. I served my cheese in wedges on a charcuterie plate but you can serve it however you would like.
Easy DIY Herbed Almond Cheese
- 1 3/4 cup almond meal
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- to top fresh rosemary
1. Blend all of the ingredients except for the rosemary together until it makes a smooth and creamy paste.
2. Lightly grease a small mixing bowl and sprinkle the fresh rosemary sprigs into the bottom of the bowl. Pour the almond mix into the bowl and smooth out the top layer. Refrigerate overnight so it can set.
3. After refrigerating, preheat the oven to 325F.
4. Flip the cheese out of the bowl so the rosemary is on top and bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 30 min.
5. Remove from oven and let cool before refrigerating.