As a kid, I didn’t love strawberry milkshakes. I always much-preferred chocolate, because why would you ruin a perfectly good dessert with something healthy like fruit?
But as I’ve grown older, I’ve come to appreciate fruit-based desserts and sweet beverages – Especially ones made with strawberry, one of the most classic flavors there is.
Strawberry-flavored things, both natural and artificial, taste good, unlike artificial banana which makes me want to cry. But while I can stomache fake strawberries, my taste buds definitely prefer the real deal. So that’s what you get in this recipe – No added flavoring or coloring, only real, unadulterated strawberries.
And the best thing of all about this DIY strawberry milkshake is that it doesn’t require a blender! Good thing, cause I don’t have one. Simply stick your beverage in the fridge overnight and the fruit pectins will thicken it up like magic. All you need to do is stir and enjoy.
Blender-Free Strawberry Milkshake
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (I used frozen)
- 1.5 cups soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs sweetener of choice (I used a brown sugar-stevia blend)
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and set to high heat, stirring gently.
2. Allow the mixture to come to a low boil (cooking time will be less if using fresh strawberries) then reduce heat.
3. Continue to stir and mash strawberries with a wooden spoon until they develop a puree consistency.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass jar or other heat-safe container.
5. Let the smoothie cool (with the lid slightly off), then place in the fridge overnight.
6. Remove in the morning, stir and enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Quincy Malesovas