Healthy Vegan Poutine With Tofu Cheese Curds
- Mushroom Gravy
- 4 cups Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 bulb black garlic
- 2 cloves garlic (minces)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 cup water
- Vegan cheese curds
- 1 firm tofu (frozen)
- 1 tbsp miso
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6-8 potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3-4 scallions
1. For the cheese curds: Mix miso, nutritional yeast, paprika, vinegar, lemon juice, oil, and ¼ cup of hot water. Cut tofu into three planks (cutting down the height of the brick) and store in airtight container with marinade overnight
2. Prepare the gravy: After allowing the cheese curds to marinate overnight, sauté the onions, black garlic, and white garlic for 2–3 minutes on medium heat, or until the onions tenderize and turn yellow. Afterwards, add in four cups of baby bella mushrooms and pepper, and saute for 3–5 additional minutes.
3. Once mushrooms are juicy and wilted to the touch, pour in ¼ cup red wine.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer, and slowly incorporate nutritional yeast and soy sauce.
5. In a small bowl, stir together flour and water to make a thick paste. Pour the paste sauce and stir occasionally on low heat until thickened.
6. Air fry the potatoes: While the mushroom gravy is cooking, peel the potatoes and chop up into french fry size (approximately ¼ to ½ inch wide).
7. Lightly coat with olive oil and 1 tbsp of salt, and air fry at 370°F for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown.
8. Remove tofu from marinade and crumble into cheese curd-sized bites. Place in air fryer and fry at 400 degrees for 8 minutes (flipping halfway through) or until crispy.
9. Serve fries with mushroom gravy, crispy ‘cheese curds,’ and scallions to taste, and enjoy!
Also by Dana: Vegan Jerk Jackfruit With Plantains & Rice
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick