Anyway, I love Eton mess, and I could just not let this one slip away from me so here is my version made (naturally gluten free) with a hint of the leftover rose water I had with me. I'm on the go with a 90L backpack at the moment so I try to carry around as little as possible.
Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Eton Mess
- 1 can chickpea brine only (aquafaba)
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vegan cream of tartar
- 1 can (400g) full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 500g mixed berries
- 2 tsp rosewater
1. Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight before making your Eton mess, so that the cream solidifies and separates from the water.
2. Drain a tin of chickpeas saving the water (aquafaba).
3. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 130°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Whisk the aquafaba in a mixer at high speed for at least 20 minutes until you get stiff white peaks. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time and whisk well after each addition until the sugar granules dissolve. The meringue mixture should turn thick and become glossy when it’s ready.
5. Scoop spoonfuls of the mixture on the lined baking sheet, leaving enough space between them. You can also use a piping bag to shape the meringues too. Transfer the trays in the oven and bake for 1 hour 45 mins – 2 hours until the meringues are fairly firm on top and on the base. When ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. Once cooled, they should be light and crisp.
6. While the meringues are in the oven pour off the coconut water from the can you chilled in the fridge overnight. Scrape the coconut cream into a bowl. Sift in the icing sugar and whisk together until it’s soft and creamy.
7. Mix the berries and rosewater together and steep for about 15 minutes.
8. Crush the meringues.
9. Place berries on the bottom of a glass, mix coconut cream and meringues and pour on top, add more berries berries and coconut cream and serve!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth