When I am creating a new recipe, simplicity and versatility are two major things I keep in mind. Keeping food preparation accessible to a wide audience is important to me. Bean salads are one of my favorite things to make, and they serve as a go-to for me when I’m short on time. They can be customized to your personal tastes and are a great way to use up any extra veggies you have. White beans are a good choice because they’re rich in antioxidants, fiber, and plant protein; moreover, they’re also associated with improved cognitivate ability thanks to the amount of vitamin B1 (thiamin) they contain.
This broccoli and white bean mixture made a great filling for lettuce wraps, but it would also be great with crackers or as a sandwich. It is a flavorful lunch that would make for a great picnic and is kid friendly, too!
Broccoli White Bean Lettuce Wraps
- 1 can white beans
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 5 leaves of romaine hearts
- 1 small tomato
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- to taste sea salt & pepper
1. Drain and rinse the beans. Add into a bowl and mash with the back of a wooden spoon.
2. Add the broccoli florets, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper; mix well.
3. Assemble the wraps by placing a few slices of tomato and some bean mixture into each one. You can create a simple wrap or try rolling the lettuce like a burrito.
Also by Kathryn: Lemony Shaved Asparagus
Related: Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes (Video)
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Kathryn Farrugia