Gluten-Free Vegan Sour Cherry Pie
- 350g all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 100g coconut cream
- 150g vegan butter or margarine
- a pinch salt
- 12g baking powder
- 5–6 tbs brown cane sugar
- 1 flax egg
- 1200g pitter sour cherries (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 50 ml (if needed) water
- 20g vanilla pudding powder
- 2–3 tbs powdered sugar
- 6–7 tbs cornmeal or ground rice
1. Drain the sour cherries if you’re using canned or frozen ones (defrost before) and keep the liquid.
2. Mix together all the pie crust ingredients in a large bowl: flour, coconut cream, margarine, salt, baking powder, cane sugar and flax egg. Leave it in the fridge to rest, meanwhile make the filling.
3. For me, the cherry liquid became about 250 ml. Heat it up in a smaller pan, mix in sugar and vanilla pudding powder. Make sure the mixture is smooth and cook it over low heat until the mixture thickens. Let it cool, then mix in the sour cherries.
4. Remove the dough from the fridge, divide into two equal portions and roll them out on a floured flat surface. Make both parts big enough to cover your baking tray. Place a wet parchment paper on the bottom of the baking tray, add the first layer of pie crust, tap the edges so they cover a bit of the tray as well (this will help to keep the filling in) and poke holes on it with a fork.
5. Sprinkle the layer with cornmeal, add the filling and cover with the other part of the crust. Sprinkle the top with brown cane sugar and place it back in the fridge.Preheat the oven to 170°C, once heated up transfer the pie from the fridge into the oven and bake for about 50–55 minutes.
6. Let it completely cool down before slicing, otherwise it might fall apart.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth