GF Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potato Taco Boats With Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 3 cups Cilantro
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 3 Limes
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3 cloves Garlic
- [Optional] Pickled Jalapeños
1. Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
2. Prepare the sweet potatoes. Scrub sweet potatoes until clean with a vegetable scrubber. Once dirt is removed, make sure to dry the sweet potatoes with a clean cloth or paper towel to get a better crisp on the exterior. Next, take a fork and poke holes throughout the sweet potatoes, until there are holes on all sides. Put sweet potatoes on aluminum sheet and bake in oven for 45 minutes or until tender.
3. Caramelize the onions. Chop the onions finely into tiny squares and set aside. Add one tablespoon of oil into a pan on medium heat and stir in minced garlic. Once garlic begins to brown, add the onions and bring the heat to medium low, stirring every few minutes until onions are golden brown and soft.
4. Add the spices. Once the onions are tender, add in 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp taco seasoning, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir to combine.
5. Stir in liquids and beans. Strain and rinse beans, and then add to pan along with 1/2 cup vegetable broth and a whole can of roasted tomatoes (including the juice). Let the ingredients simmer on medium low heat, stirring occasionally for 8–10 minutes or until the majority of the liquid evaporates. This allows the beans to soak in the spices and liquids.
6. Add the cilantro. Rinse, dry, and chop 1/4 cup of cilantro and add to the bean and vegetable mixture. Simmer on low to keep warm.
7. Create the sauce. Take 3 cups of chopped cilantro, 1/3 cup oil, the juice of 3 limes, 3 cloves of garlic, and 1/8 tsp of salt and put in a blender. Blend until all ingredients are mixed together. Add extra salt to taste.
8. Fill the sweet potatoes. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, slice the sweet potatoes in half and pour the bean and vegetable mixture into the center. Generously pour the cilantro-lime sauce on top and enjoy.
Also by Dana: Sweet Garlic Lime Cauliflower Wings
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick