This may look like it requires multiple steps but it is actually one of the easier desserts that I enjoy making. If you don’t want to take the few extra minutes to make a pie crust, you could use a pre-made one from the store. Just be sure to bake it before pouring in the filling. The only thing I would change about this pie is that I would have added a handful of fresh basil if I had some at the time.
Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Plum Pie
- For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3 tbsp cold water
- For the filling:
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 3 sliced plums
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
1. Add flour, salt, and sugar to a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Drop in chunks of the butter and use a fork to cut it into the flour, until it begins to crumble.
2. Add the cold water and use your hands to form a ball of dough. Roll it out, big enough to fit over the pie pan, and drape it over the pie pan. Use your hands to play around and make it fit and then pinch the edges all the way around.
3. Bake the crust for 20–25 minutes, until it gets brown and crusty.
4. While the crust is baking, prepare your filling. Add the two cups of diced strawberries and the sugar to a large pot and bring to a boil.
5. Whisk together the water and cornstarch and pour it into the boiling strawberries. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir continuously until thickened, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in spices.
6. Remove crust from oven. Arrange sliced strawberries and plums in the crust.
7. Pour the thickened strawberries over the sliced berries and plums and put in the fridge for a couple hours to set.
8. Melt chocolate and coconut oil together over a double boiler and drizzle over finished pie.
Also by Lauren: Orange Cranberry Cream Pie
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote