The Middle Eastern-inspired dairy-free sauce is also easy to whip up. It takes only a few minutes and can get done while the veggies are cooking in the oven. Try also with falafels, veggie burgers, wraps or on top of your favorite salad.
GF Vegan Split Pea Steak With Tahini Yogurt Sauce
- 150 g baby potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 100g baby carrots
- 200 g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp each dried basil, dried thyme, dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 200g asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into thirds
- to taste mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp unsweetened soy yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1/2 cup ground white rice
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped walnut
- 1/4 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 tsp garlic granuls
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2cup Vegan Stock
- 1 tsp sage
- 3 cloves
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp sugar
For the sheet pan dinner:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with oil. Add the potatoes, carrots and chickpeas to the sheet pan, drizzle with 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil and ¾ of the spices, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Arrange the potatoes flesh side down, so they will get crispy edges.
3. Place in the oven for 20 -25 minutes. Then carefully remove from the oven, add asparagus to the pan and the remaining oil and herbs. Toss well to coat and place back in the oven for another 15–20 minutes.
For the vegan tahini Yoghurt sauce:
Combine tahini, soy yoghurt, lemon juice, cumin and coriander powder and crushed garlic in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Transfer to a dipping bowl and garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and a few cracks of freshly ground rose pepper.
For the steak:
1. Mix the dry ingredients (yellow split peas, ground white rice, chopped walnut, cooked rice, garlic granuls, salt, smoked paprika) and then add the water. Let the mix sit for 30 minutes.
2. Add Vegan Stock. sage, cloves, diced onion and sugar to a saucepan and place it on the cooker to simmer for a couple of minutes. This will make the herbs infuse into the stock. Remove the cloves from the stock. Set the cooker to medium high heat.
3. Pour the split pea batter into the stock and stir constantly until the stock reduces. Once finished, it should look like thick mashed potato. Remove it from the heat and let it sit until it cools down enough so you can work with it, then knead with your hands to shape the steaks.
4. Heat up some oil in a frying pan and cook the steaks on both sides until it is golden brown and cooked through. Or you can bake it in the oven too if you’d like it oil-free. Place it on parchment paper over a baking tray and cook for about 15 minutes on 180 Celsius, turning at half time, or until it is perfectly baked through.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth