This was inspired by an Indian recipe. I couldn't get the main ingredient, but I still really wanted to try it. I made it with my modifications and it turned out amazing!
While many vegan versions of chicken curries use chickpeas, potatoes, or tofu as a meat substitute, I’m using soy balls here. They have such a satisfying, chewy texture. You can use seitan if you don't have to be gluten-free.
GF Vegan Soy Balls Garam Masala Curry
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can chopped tomato
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 350 g soy balls
- 120 g vegan yogurt
- 150 ml plant milk of choice
- 1 tsp garam masala
1. In a large pan, heat up the oil and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
2. Add the spices (except for garam masala) and whisk for about 1-2 minute, or until fragrant.
3. Blend in chopped tomato and veggie stock. Add the dried soy balls, salt, sugar, dairy-free yogurt and cook until soy balls are soft.
4. Add the vegan milk and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add garam masala according to your taste.
Serve hot with rice or vegan naan / roti bread.
Photo: Imola Toth