You can use water or nut- or plant-based milk to make it. I love to cook it over the stove but if you need to hurry, you can just boil water in the kettle and pour it over the rice, mix it, set aside for a few minutes, then add you favorite topping and you're good to go.
GF Vegan Rice Porridge with Chai Aromatics
- 1/2 cup rice porridge
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla syrup
- 3 pods cardamom, crushed
- 1 tsp unsalted margarine
- 1 stick or 1/2 tsp cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon
- 1–2 star anise
- 2–3 cloves
- a small pinch ground ginger
- a small pinch ground coriander
- a small pinch ground nutmeg
1. Using a rolling pin, crush the cardamom pods until very fine. Place the spices and the the rice milk, and margarine into a sauce pan and bring to simmer while slowly stirring the mixture over medium heat . Lower the heat if necessary to prevent the milk from boiling or overheating. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla syrup.
2. Stir in rice porridge and keep stirring until it thickens. If it suddenly becomes too thick you can add more water or rice milk to it.
3. If needed add sweetener, but I think the spices make it delicious enough and no need for extra sweetness.
4. Season with you favorite topping.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth