GF Vegan Lemon Pudding Pie
- 260 g gluten-free flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup melted margarine or coconut oil
- 30 g vanilla sugar (divided into two)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 lemons, zest + juice only
- 1 package pudding powder
- 5 dl rice milk
- 6 tbsp brown sugar (divided into 5 and 1)
- 10 ripe plums
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a mixing bowl combine flour, margarine, powdered sugar, salt, 15 g vanilla sugar and zest of 1/2 lemon. Stir it until you get an even dough.
Roll out the dough on floured flat surface.
3. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the rolled out dough on the paper, making sure there’s enough on the sides to make a taller crust.
4. Bake it in the oven until it’s golden brown in color and if you poke the dough with a knife it comes out clean. Then set aside to completely cool.
For the pudding filling:
5. Bring 4 dl of the plant based milk to a boil in a sauce pan over medium heat. In a mug whisk together the remaining 1 dl of the vegan milk with the 1 tbs sugar and pudding powder. Once the milk starts to boil, add the mixture and stir it until it starts to thicken. Then add a pinch of salt, 15 g vanilla sugar, 4 tbs sugar and the juice of 2 lemons and remaining lemon zest. Set aside until completely cools.
For the plum sauce:
6. Cut the plums in half and pit them. Place them in a smaller sauce pan and add just enough water to cover it. Bring it to a boil and cook until the plums completely dissolves. Just then add 1 or 2 tbs of sugar while stirring, to make it more saucy. Take off the heat and set aside.
7. Once both the cake crust and the pudding filling completely cooled, fill the crust with the pudding and place it in the fridge until it sets. Once the pudding is firm, you can take it out of the fridge for a while before serving, so the dough won’t be too cold. Serve with the plum sauce over each slice.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth