- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 block Tofu
- 1-2 tbsp Corn flour
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Ketchup
- 2 tsp Five Spice
- 1 tsp Rice Wine (Shiaoxing Cooking Wine)
- 1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce (Vegetarian)
1. Peel and dice the garlic cloves.
2. Drain the tofu. Slice width ways into thick “steaks.”
3. In a bowl, toss the tofu steaks in cornstarch until evenly covered.
4. Make the Chinese BBQ sauce by mixing the soy sauce, ketchup, five spice powder, rice wine, and hoisin sauce.
5. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once warm, add the tofu pieces. Fry until golden brown, 4-5 minutes on each side.
6. Gradually add the BBQ sauce. Turn the tofu to ensure the sauce evenly covers each piece.
7. Reduce and simmer, as it becomes a sweet glaze the tofu will get crispy and slightly charred. It’s done! Serve with noodles, rice, or a salad of your choice.
Also by Debbie: Vegan Taiwanese “Beef” Noodle Soup With Braised Tofu & Veggies
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Debbie Tan