GF Vegan Grilled Sesame Tofu Sandwich
- 200 g firm tofu (I use smoked), cut in half
- about 150 g canned of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 3-4 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 4 slices gluten free multi grain toast bread
- cucumber, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 handful baby spinach
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1-2 wraps lettuce
1. Cut the tofu cube in two equal slices lengthwise and place it in a bowl with the soy sauce to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
2. Heat up a sauce pan over low heat and toast the sesame seeds until golden. Transfer to a plate and add the olive oil to the pan and heat it up over medium heat. Place the tofu in the pan and fry both sides until crispy (about 5 minutes each side). Then transfer the tofu to the plate where you placed the sesame seed and cover them on each side. Make sure not to burn yourself as the tofu might be hot, but the seeds stick better on it while the tofu is hot.
3. Add the slices mushrooms and oregano to the same pan and sauté for a few minutes, until mushrooms start to brown.
4. Meanwhile toast the bread in a toaster, then spread hummus on two of them and mustard on the other two slices.
5. Decide which one you want to be the bottom slice and place the sliced cucumber on that, then tomato, sesame tofu and a little vegan mayo. On the top slices place the baby spinach and the mushroom and lettuce.
It will be a think sandwich, but if you can, slowly with care, place the two slices on top of each other.
Also by Imola: Sesame Chickpea Salad With Cumin Potatoes
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth