It has a unique earthy, intense flavor which makes any dish taste incredible, loaded with important vitamins and minerals that may offer impressive health benefits. Celeriac is packed with fiber and vitamins B6, C and K. It’s also a good source of antioxidants and important minerals, such as phosphorus, potassium and manganese.
It’s important to note that cooking celeriac can cause some vitamin loss—for example, boiling celeriac reduces its vitamin C content by at least 50%
GF Vegan Deep Fried Celeriac With Sweet Potato Purée
- 1 medium celeriac
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 dl water
- to taste salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup GF breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 dl sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried parsley
1. Wash and drain the celeriac, cut off the skin and slice it in quarters, poke the sweet potatoes few times with a knife.
2. Fill a big pot with water, add 1 tsp of salt, bring it to a boil. Once boiling place the celeriac and sweet potatoes in the water, cook for a few minutes, then turn off heat and cook the veggies until they are soft but not overcooked. Then remove the veggies form the water and set them aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl whisk together turmeric, 1 cup of the chickpea flour, salt, water, paprika powder, cayenne pepper and create a smooth cream like mixture. If needed add more water or plant milk. The mix has to be runny enough to cover the celeriac. (We are using this to replace eggs.)
4. Once they are cooled enough so you can work with them without burning yourself, remove the skin of the sweet potatoes with a knife, cut them into slices and in a large bowl mix together with salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, nutmeg, margarine and mash it with a potato masher. If you want a more creamy mash, you can add a little plant milk as well.
5. Cut the celeriac into finger sized bites.
6. Take two plates, fill one with the rest of the chickpea flour, the other with the breadcrumbs mixed with dried parsley and pumpkin seeds. Place the egg replacement you made from the chickpea flour and water between them.
7. Take a piece of celeriac and fully cover it with flour, then place it in the bowl of chickpea+water mixture until it is well covered on each side. Then place it in the breadcrumbs and cover it well on each side. Place it on a plate and repeat the method with each celeriac piece.
8. Once you are done, heat up the oil in a pan over medium heat. Once it’s hot place the breaded celeriac pieces in the oil and fry them on each side until golden. Once they are done transfer them on a paper towel to dry up access oil.
9. Serve them while still warm over sweet potato purée and with salad on side.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth