Originally I intended to make a perfect sponge cake, but the egg replacement didn't work the way I imagined so I got something that is rather like the Hungarian cottage cheese cake—and surprisingly delicious. The cottage cheese cake is pretty much like a cheese cake but instead of mascarpone or any other creamy cheese, we use cottage cheese as filling. This unique combination of sweet, salty, and creamy will win you over.
GF Vegan Cottage Cheese Cake
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS 4-6 servings
- 4 portions vegan egg replacement (I used Eggie)
- 100 g vanilla sugar
- 100 g margarine or vegan butter
- 50 g gluten-free flour
- 100 g almond flour
- 100 g shredded coconut
- 500 g orange
- 5g baking powder
- of 1 lemon lemon zest
- 50g almond, minced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare the egg replacement you use according to packaging, we are going to replace 4 eggs.
- In a bowl mix the prepared egg replacement with the sugar and room temperature margarine until smooth. Add the zest of the lemon, too.
- Using another bowl, mix the two types of flour with the coconut, baking powder, almond.
- Peel and slice the oranges and make a puree with a blender from them. Add the puree to the eggie-margarine-sugar mix, then slowly stir in the flour mix and combine well until smooth and it’s not lumpy anymore.
- Put the dough in a cake form and bake it for 35-40 minutes. You can check if it’s ready with poking it with a knife. If the knife comes out clean, that means the cake is done.Leave it to cool before serving.
- Top it with icing sugar, coconut or almond flakes.
Photo: Imola Toth