Originally I intended to make a perfect sponge cake, but the egg replacement didn't work the way I imagined so I got something that is rather like the Hungarian cottage cheese cake—and surprisingly delicious. The cottage cheese cake is pretty much like a cheese cake but instead of mascarpone or any other creamy cheese, we use cottage cheese as filling. This unique combination of sweet, salty, and creamy will win you over.
- 4 portions vegan egg replacement (I used Eggie)
- 100 g vanilla sugar
- 100 g margarine or vegan butter
- 50 g gluten-free flour
- 100 g almond flour
- 100 g shredded coconut
- 500 g orange
- 5g baking powder
- of 1 lemon lemon zest
- 50g almond, minced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare the egg replacement you use according to packaging, we are going to replace 4 eggs.
- In a bowl mix the prepared egg replacement with the sugar and room temperature margarine until smooth. Add the zest of the lemon, too.
- Using another bowl, mix the two types of flour with the coconut, baking powder, almond.
- Peel and slice the oranges and make a puree with a blender from them. Add the puree to the eggie-margarine-sugar mix, then slowly stir in the flour mix and combine well until smooth and it’s not lumpy anymore.
- Put the dough in a cake form and bake it for 35-40 minutes. You can check if it’s ready with poking it with a knife. If the knife comes out clean, that means the cake is done.Leave it to cool before serving.
- Top it with icing sugar, coconut or almond flakes.
Photo: Imola Toth