If you are looking for the perfect spicy barbeque recipe, look no further. This vegan BBQ sauce is the perfect sauce to toss some tofu bites into and throw over a bed of white rice. I enjoyed the dish topped with broccoli and mushroom stir fry as well. Altogether the dish satisfies that Korean craving every time. The use of agave syrup as the sweetener in the sauce helps to ensure all the ingredients are natural and healthy as well. Not only are you spicing up these winter months, but you are doing so with health in mind. This recipe is packed with protein, antioxidants, and is great for the digestive system. It will fill you up and keep you full longer without any reason for guilt.
Vegan Korean BBQ Tofu
Recipe Type: Hearty Entrees
YIELDS 4 Servings
- 1 block Tofu
- 1 stock Broccoli
- 1/2 pack Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Agave Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Gochujang Paste
- 1 small Apple
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- Start by taking the block of tofu and slicing it longways into six or seven pieces.
- Let the tofu dry on paper towels while you prepare everything else
- Chop the broccoli and mushrooms and stir fry them in a pan on medium heat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little soy sauce.
- While this is cooking, chop the garlic, ginger, and apple and then if you have a food processor it would help to further process these into smaller pieces. Throw them into a mixing bowl
- Take the tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, agave syrup, gochujang paste, and sesame seeds into the bowl with the garlic, ginger, and apple. Whisk this together to form the sauce.
- Check on vegetables and turn down or remove them from the heat.
- Then take the tofu and cut into bite-sized pieces. Toss the tofu bites in a bowl with the corn starch and a teaspoon of salt. Make sure all pieces get thoroughly covered.
- Place the tofu in a pan on medium heat with 2 or 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Let the pieces cook on each side until all sides are golden. The more olive oil the better.
- Once the tofu (and vegetables) is done, wipe the pan clean of oil and place the tofu back in the pan on low heat with the sauce as well.
- Plate the BBQ covered tofu and vegetables on a bed of white rice and enjoy!
Photo: Lindsey Blakley