As slowly I start to understand how to cook for one (I always used to cook for my family of 5 or for my boyfriends who ate just as much), i can tell you this is enough for two people or you can keep it in the fridge for up to three days, if you want to take it to work with you.
You can use the same ingredients, or if you also want to use it as a clean-out dish, you can use sweet potato instead of the squash, or kale instead of spinach.
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash. peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sweet potato , peeled and diced
- 1 small shalott, finely chopped
- 1 small green onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 ts salt
- to taste pepper
- 1/2 cup silken tofu, scrumbled
- 1/3 ts each oregano, thyme, basil, dreid
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- melty vegan cheese, shredded
- to replace 6 eggs vegan egg replacement or flax eggs
- 1 cup vegan feta cheese, diced
- 3 frozen spinach handfuls
- 1 1/2 cups GF flour blend
- 1/3 ts salt
- 1/2 cup melted margarine
- if needed water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy milk
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the frozen spinach balls, butternut squash and sweet potato and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mostly cooked through.
3. Add the white parts of the chopped green onions and shallots. Sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly, until the onion is fragrant and the veggies are softened. Stir in the green parts of the scallions, herbs, salt and pepper until combined, then remove the sauté pan from the heat.
4. Arrange the veggie mixture in an even layer in the pre-baked pie crust and sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese evenly on top. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the vegan eggs and soy milk until combined, then pour the mixture evenly over the veggies and cheese. Give the quiche filling a brief gentle stir so that some of the veggies and cheese float to the top.
5. Put it in the oven and bake it for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden and puffy, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Transfer the quiche back to the wire rack and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Let it settle a little before serving.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth