Pasta is a classic comfort food during the colder months and pumpkin makes the perfect seasonal addition. I added a bunch of savory, cold-weather herbs and spices including rosemary, sage, and thyme to bring this dish together. This recipe can easily be doubled if you want to do food prep for the week or share with friends. I used canned pumpkin to keep it simple for this recipe but feel free to use fresh, homemade purée.
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 3 cups uncooked pasta
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 15oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 15oz can pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 12 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- to taste salt & pepper
- handful shredded kale
1. Cook pasta according to package. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the pumpkin sauce.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until the flour is smooth and saturated.
3. Add in the garlic and onion and sauté for a couple minutes, until they begin to soften and brown.
4. Pour in the coconut milk and the pumpkin purée and mix until smooth.
5. Add in the spices, salt, and pepper. Let simmer on low for about 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the spices infuse.
6. Remove from heat and stir in shredded kale.
7. Pour sauce over pasta and serve.
Also by Lauren: Puerto Rican Beans & Potatoes
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote