That is how Yugoslavian Ajvar, which is a condiment made principally from red bell peppers and oil, can meet vegan Greek Feta cheese, and Italian style topping and seasoning on top of a crunchy, multigrain gluten free bread piece. The result of their meeting is a beautiful, heavenly delicious sandwich that might make your taste buds sing.
GF Vegan Ajvar Tomato Tartine
- 1 slice large multigrain gluten-free country style bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ajvar
- 2 tbsp vegan feta cheese (I use Violife)
- 1 small tomato, sliced into rounds (best is heirloom)
- 3 thin slices, halved cucumber
- to taste salt, pepper
- 2 leaves fresh basil
1. Heat your cast iron skillet or grill pan to medium and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Toast bread until golden and slightly charred on both sides. Remove from heat.
2. Spread ajvar on top of toasted bread. Sprinkle with vegan feta cheese (I like to roughly mash it with fork before) and layer tomato and cucumber on top. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and pepper. Add basil and a small drizzle of olive oil.
3. If you don’t have ajvar, you can replace it with hummus or even pesto. You can also use different kind of herbs, like fresh rosemary or mint.
Also by Imola: Grilled Sesame Tofu Sandwich
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth