English Tofish And Chips With Mushy Peas
- Block of Tofu (enough for four pieces)
- 3 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 4 Nori Sheets
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Beer
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 4 tablespoons Sunflower oil
- 6 medium sized Potatoes
- 3 teaspoons Salt
- 3 teaspoons Pepper
- 3 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower oil
- Mushy Peas
- 1/2 cup Frozen peas
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Vegan butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Lemon juice
1. Press the tofu for half an hour. Simply wrap the tofu in some kitchen towel and then place a heavy object on top of it in order to reduce the amount of water inside.
2. Cut the tofu block into four even pieces and make diagonal cuts to the surface to create a fish like flakiness. This way the tofu can soak up all the marinade.
3. Marinate the tofu by mixing lemon juice, soy sauce and the seaweed/ nori, separated into little pieces. Put all of this in a Tupper ware box that’s big enough to fit all the tofu pieces lying flat, to soak up the flavours. Marinate the tofu for at least an hour.
4. Whisk together the flour, paprika and beer and add a dash of salt and pepper.
5. Measure out the sunflower oil into a non-stick pan and heat for 3 minutes on high.
6. Dredge the tofu in the batter and then place it into the pan immediately. Repeat this with all of the tofu pieces cooking for around 3 to 4 minutes on both sides. When you take the tofu pieces out of the pan, place them onto a kitchen towel to soak up the oil.
1. Turn your oven to 375°F. Then peel the potatoes and cut them into a 1inch thickness. After this place them in cold water for 20 minutes to help remove the starch.
2. Drain the chips and toss them in oil, garlic powder and 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper, then put them in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take them out, mix them around and put them back in the oven for another 20 to 30 minutes.
1. On medium heat, cook the peas with ¾ cup of water in a pan, for around 3 minutes. Once cooked, drain the water and then add in lemon, butter and the rest of the salt and mash together.
2. Cook the mixture for a further minute or two, stirring consistently to achieve a thicker consistency. Once the consistency is thick enough, plate up with your tofish and chips and enjoy.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Hannah Roberts