- 1 Delicata Squash
- Big handful Spinach, chopped
- 1/2 can Chickpeas
- 1/2 Red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tsp or to taste Smoked paprika
- To taste Salt
- Several grinds/to taste Black pepper
For the squash:
Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. (Now the halves will resemble boats). Brush the boats with some olive oil. Cook cut side up in the oven until just tender but not charred, about 20-25 minutes.
For the filling:
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add remaining olive oil to the pan.
2. Add minced garlic and bell pepper, stirring frequently to keep the garlic from burning.
3. After 5-7 minutes, add the chickpeas. Generously add salt, pepper and paprika. Cook a few minutes more, stirring often.
4. Once everything is about cooked through and tender, add the chopped spinach to the pan. Stir and cook until spinach wilts down.
5. Once the squash is done, remove it from the oven but keep the oven on. Scoop half the filling into each squash boat. Return to the oven for a few minutes to heat through and help the flavors marry. Serve hot and enjoy.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for those that aren’t just cooking for one.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content
Photo: R. Coker