These patties have it all when it comes to health—totally made of whole foods, like anti-inflammatory garlic, quinoa, brown lentils, and flax flour which provide ample healthy protein, with cumin and smoked paprika adding a hint of spice.
My partner, Robert and I will scarf down these patties without the bun, with just a simple raw salad. Made from simple ingredients, this recipe is very cheap and quick to prepare.
This recipe works best if you made the patties and let them in the freezer for an hour, so they’ll hold their shape better.
Serve these crunchy patties with or without the bun. Since you will have the oven going, consider roasting some sweet potatoes to go with these patties.
As soon as you taste one, you'll know that these are something to add to your weekly recipe rotation.
- 1/2 cup Dry quinoa
- 1 cup Dry brown lentils
- 1/3 cup Flaxseed flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Water
- 1 tablespoon Coconut aminos
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Miso paste
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
1. Rinse well the quinoa and brown lentils, then cook in a small saucepan with 4 cups of water. Set them over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and cook about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and quinoa and lentils are cooked. Remove from heat.
2. Place the quinoa and lentils into a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until a pasty mixture forms but leaving some whole bits and pieces.
3. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties, compacting them well with your hands as you form them. Place the patties on a baking sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and freeze for approximately 1 hour.
4. When ready to eat, preheat the oven to 400°F. Cook for 15 minutes until the patties are golden brown and crispy. Carefully flip them over and cook another 15 minutes.
5. Enjoy with a raw salad or add a gluten free bun to get the full experience!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Roberta Farrugia