I love the combination of earthy beets and salty feta together, but you can use whatever cheese you have on hand. I used a giant, raw beet from the farmers market and roasted it before using it in this sandwich. I find that roasting beets gives them a more hearty, robust flavor. You can skip this step if you prefer raw beets, or you can also use beets that have been pre-cooked and marinated. Feel free to play around with whatever herbs you want to add in. This pairs well with a simple side salad for an easy lunch or dinner.
Vegan Beet Feta Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 beet, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan feta
- 1 tbsp vegan plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup kale, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss sliced beets in a mixing bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pour onto a baking pan and bake for 10–15 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. In a small whisking bowl, add the feta, yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Use the back of a fork to mix this into a spreadable consistency. Set aside.
4. Spread the butter onto the outside of each slice of bread. Spread the feta onto one of the slices of bread and layer in the beets, mint, kale, and onions.
5. Heat a pan over medium low heat and toast both sides of the sandwich until golden brown. Remove from heat and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote