Tzatziki generally calls for dill, but I used mint in its place to help aid in cooling the body during this heatwave. I also added beets and radish for their wonderful health properties and to add a little zing to the dip. The beets turn the dip into the most brilliant and beautiful hue of pink. I left them raw in this recipe but you can used pre-cooked beets if that is what you have to work with. This can be spread onto a sandwich, used as a dip for chips or crackers, or served alongside some falafel. Add more or less yogurt, depending on how thick you want the dip to be.
- 1 cup raw beets, chopped
- 1/2 cup radishes
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, shredded
- 3/4 cup plain cashew yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Add the beet, radish, and cucumber to a food processor and pulse a few times until veggies are shredded into small chunks. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, mint, and yogurt.
3. Pour the shredded veggies into the mixing bowl and stir well to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Store in the refrigerator until time to serve for best results.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote