I've always loved a good banana bread slice either for a breakfast, afternoon tea snack or a sneaky nibble after dinner but sometimes when I have just one ultra ripe banana that is ready to go—I love stocking up on some banana cookie dough!
Vegan Banana Bread Cookies 3 Ways!
- ½ cup cold vegan butter (cut into cubes)
- ¾ cup raw cane sugar
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp liquid of choice (vegan milk or water)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (for greasing)
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chip
1. In a bowl, measure out your dry ingredients (wholemeal flour, baking powder and salt) and combine well. I then like putting them in the fridge to chill while I prepare the next step.
2. In another bowl, incorporate your cold butter and sugar by mashing and fluffing them up together with a fork.
3. Next add in your banana and mash into a puree with your fluffy sweetened butter and a splash of vanilla as your base.
4. Then transfer your chilled dry ingredients with your wet ingredients and roughly mix them.
5. Gradually add a splash of your choice of liquid (either any vegan milk or simply water) to help combine your dough. Gently form the cookie dough without overmixing it until your bowl comes off clean.
6. Keep the dough in the refrigerator for at least 20–30 minutes to set. This step is critical as it helps solidify your butter before baking. If you want to speed up the process, you can pop it in the freezer for 10–15 minutes until slightly firm.
7. While waiting, prepare your toppings (vegan chocolate chips – make sure to read the labels as some products may still have traces of dairy milk) and a bowl of icing sugar. We will be preparing our awesome cookies in 3 ways!
8. After chilled, use a tablespoon as measurement for each cookie dough batter then roll them out into a ball. You’ll make about 28–29 cookies.
9. You can choose to save half the amount in the freezer for future use or if you would like to bake it all—I would usually divide the total to make 3 assorted banana bread cookies – flatten one as it is (plain), the other one also flatten but topped with chocolate chips and lastly one that is rolled on generously with icing sugar until fully covered (no need to flatten it).
10. Place your cookies on a greased baking tray (using vegan butter or oil). You can also use a silicone baking mat or baking paper (but this greasing method helps be more sustainable and environmental friendly) .
11. Bake at 150°c for 10 minutes, rotating the tray for the first 5 minutes to evenly bake each side of the cookie.
12. After bake, using a metal spoon, flatten your icing sugar coated cookie to create a crack effect.
13. Cool down on tray and enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo by: @BelBrosasFaustino