It might sound weird at first to add vanilla to a cauliflower soup. Super easy and quick to make, this makes it perfect for weekend days when you'd want to spend more time with your family but still out something delicious on the table. Exciting flavor combination in a cream of soup that will satisfy even the pickiest ones.
- 1 tbs oil
- 1-2 small shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 L veggie broth
- to taste salt, pepper
- 2 pods vanilla
- 200ml vegan whipped cream
- 2-3 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/2 ts nutmeg
- to garnish roasted chickpeas
- In a large pot heat up the oil over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Meanwhile slice the cauliflower and cut of the florets of the head. Add to the pot and sauté for a few minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Add the veggie broth, salt, pepper and vanilla beans (scraped from the pod) and the pods themselves and bring it to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and cook until cauliflowers become tender, about 15 minutes.
- Finally add the whipped cream, bring to a boil again, and mix in the white wine vinegar and nutmeg. Adjust seasoning as needed before making a smooth cream with a hand blender.
- Top it with olive oil and toasted chickpeas before serving.
Photo: Imola Toth