I used honey in this recipe but you can use any other sweetener you like including maple syrup, agave, or sugar. If I had maple syrup on hand, I would have preferred to use this because it amplifies the flavor of the spices. You can make these cookies any size, to make more or less depending on your preference.
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 cup instant oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1:4 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Prepare your flax egg by combining the water and flax seed in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, and spices.
4. In a separate bowl, add the flax egg, applesauce, vanilla, honey, and almond milk.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Fold in the grated carrot.
7. Form balls and shape them to the size you would like on a cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Also by Lauren: Vegan Key Lime Cake
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote