I have a love for Indian sweets of all forms. Most I’ve experienced are sickly sweet and rich, just how Iike them. But they also have tons of milk powder and ghee (when made in the traditional way).
While vegan Indian desserts are hard to come by out and about, they are easier than ever to recreate at home.
One of my favorites is Besan Barfi, which is made with chickpea flour. It might sound like an odd ingredient for a dessert if you’re not familiar with the concept, but trust me when I say that it’s a delicious (and protein-rich) base for this sweet. I’ve infused this recipe with some healthy “extras” to kick it up a few notches–it’s like a superfood fudge with a bit of South Asian flair.
This Besan Barfi recipe comes together super quickly and uses limited ingredients, so give it a try today!
Vegan Superfood Besan Barfi
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1. Combine oil and butter in saucepan and cook on the stove until melted.
2. Transfer to mixing bowl and whisk in chickpea flour and maca powder, stirring well to remove any chunks.
3. Mix in agave syrup until smooth, then add seeds and turmeric and mix well again.
4. Line a baking pan or Tupperware container with cling wrap, then scoop mixture into it.
5. Press down until smooth and even in the container, then place in fridge for at least 30 minutes to set.
6. Remove from container, slice and serve!
Also by Quincy: Vegan Pappadam Dessert Bowls with Banana Pudding
Related: Hormone-Balancing Chocolate Fudge
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas